This Mexican salad is a blend of mixed greens, black beans, tomatoes, corn, avocado, cotija cheese and tortilla strips all tossed in a tangy lime dressing. The perfect salad to accompany any Mexican meal, or add grilled chicken to make it a main course!
HOW DO YOU MAKE MEXICAN SALAD?
This salad starts with chopped romaine lettuce, which is topped with tomatoes, corn, black beans, avocado and shaved red onion. A drizzle of homemade dressing goes over the top, then the salad is tossed until everything is coated. Add a sprinkle of tortilla strips and cotjia cheese, and you’ll be ready to eat!
TIPS FOR THE PERFECT SALAD
- You can chop your own romaine lettuce, or use the pre-prepared bags of lettuce to save a little time.
- Fresh, thawed from frozen and canned corn kernels all work well in this dish.
- While I like to use cotija cheese for an authentic flavor, feta cheese will also work just fine.
- Choose a ripe, yet firm avocado so that it won’t get mushy when tossed in the salad.
- I use a mandoline to thinly shave my red onions.
- Freshly squeezed lime juice works best in this recipe, skip the bottled juice.
- You can use halved cherry tomatoes or diced plum tomatoes, whatever you have on hand will work.
MEXICAN SALAD DRESSING
The dressing for this salad is a blend of lime juice, olive oil, cilantro and spices. The ingredients are all whisked together until well combined. I like to make a double batch of dressing as it keeps well in the fridge for up to one week, and is great to have on hand.
MEXICAN SALAD VARIATIONS
There are so many different ways to customize this salad based on the ingredients you have on hand.
- Protein: You can add chopped grilled chicken, ground beef or shrimp to turn this salad into a meal.
- Toppings: I love to add roasted pumpkin seeds, olives or pickled jalapenos for extra flavor.
- Vegetables: Feel free to add other veggies to the salad such as thinly sliced radishes, cucumber, diced bell peppers or jicama.
This salad is bright, colorful and packed full of flavor. Whether you’re looking for an accompaniment to a Mexican feast or simply searching for a light and fresh salad, this one will definitely be a winner.
For the salad
- 4 cups romaine lettuce chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 1/4 cup red onion thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup corn kernels can be fresh, canned or thawed from frozen
- 1 avocado peeled, pitted and sliced
- 1 cup black beans
- 1/4 cup cotija cheese finely crumbled
- 1/3 cup tortilla strips
For the dressing
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
For the salad
For the dressing
In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lime juice, honey, chili powder, cumin, cilantro and salt and pepper.
Pour the dressing over the lettuce mixture and toss gently to coat. Top with cotija cheese and tortilla strips, then serve immediately.